Wednesday, 4 June 2014

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

I didn't expect to not be able to finish this book. I feel as though I've let you down, ducks, but I just can't do it. I know I'm putting it off because I've been re-watching Sherlock instead of reading this.

I'll see if I can outline why I can't finish it:
- None of the characters or their relationships to each other was ever described. As a result, I don't know who anyone is or how they relate to each other. Quentin seems to be both male and female, and T.P. keeps jumping from one location to another in the most incomprehensible way.
- The narration is taken up by a new character every chapter. It takes me 7-8 pages each chapter to sort out who is speaking and their relationship to the other characters, so I have no idea what's going on.
- The narration is a stream-of-consciousness type of thing. It is really well executed in the sense that people really do think in the manner the book narrates. The downside to this is that there is no expository interludes and it's hard to nail down a spatial or chronological or relational understanding of anything.

Basically, I need a Coles notes on this book, which I find too dismally embarrassing to acquire. If any of you lovelies has read this book and would like to tutor me on it, I'd be very much interested. For now, I'm going to set it aside.

Next up: They Fight Like Soldiers They Die Like Children by Roméo Dallaire (thanks for lending it to me, Peter!)

No comments:

Post a Comment