Wednesday, 20 April 2016

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl

Thanks again to Erika and Jasmine for independently recommending this book. Extremely interesting and worth the while.
It is one part memoir and one part psychoanalysis guide. It outlines the growth of the principles of logotherapy in the mind of its creator, Viktor Frankl, during his three year detainment in Nazi concentration camps including Auschwitz and Dachau. It also provides notes from the doctor as he continued to develop this therapy at his practice in America after the war.

A really interesting trait of the memoir was that it did not focus on the tragedies of the camps, either on a personal or national level, although there was certainly tragedy enough to talk about. Frankl seemed more concerned with describing how and why people may choose and desire to continue living even when living is agony. It details how the doctor and others around him found meaning in their sufferings and how healing was possible after the experience.

The writing was very formal and somewhat more clinical than many memoirs would be. He tends to give very analytical views of his emotions, which I rather like. If I can analyse a thing it is not so scary, right?

Now to the clinical part. Frankl focuses on how the search for and realisation of a meaning or purpose helps heal a great many of the psychological problems people consult him for. In his words, "Challenging the meaning of life is the truest expression of the state of being human".  He demonstrates, with examples, how people may find meaning in work, love, or even suffering and why it is necessary that meaning is found.

I loved this validation of my own desperate quest for purpose. I am, as you know, a pathological nihilist. Looking at how this man found purpose in pain or in love or in work. It gave me some helpful tips on how to deal with the existential panics which assail me when I least expect it. The one thing I think is very worth mentioning is that the doctor never suggests anyone make pleasure or self-satisfaction their purpose or meaning. It is simply not done. REMEMBER THIS BECCA!

Up currently: The Cosmic Trilogy by C. S. Lewis (beginning with Out of the Silent Planet). A return to an old favourite that I will always love.

No comments:

Post a Comment