My dad suggested this book and left it at my house, so it was easiest if I just read it. After all, he gave in to my incessant raving about Neil Gaiman (see blog about Neverwhere, April 2016).
To be honest I don't think I really understood this one either. Unlike Slaughterhouse Five, which I've grown to appreciate more and more as I've thought about it, I don't remember this one clearly enough to re-hash it and pull the meanings out. Probably has to do with the quality of the writing. None of the characters possess the brilliance of reality which would make them stick in my mind. None of the scenes are written so expertly as would make reading them just as good as living them (yes, it does happen).
The first half is a sort of a love story. The Captain and Liza have a sort of love relationship, but it is told through the memories of a child, and a fairly dull child too. No conflict or adventures, no questioning the adults or reaching out for affection. Just floating along in observation. There is one aspect that I found interesting about the love story, and that is its basis on acceptance and kindness, rather than passions or affections. Liza feels obligated to The Captain for his kindness and care of her. The Captain feels obligated to Liza for her quiet acceptance of his decisions and vices. It's unclear whether they are lovers or just mutual sympathizers. They spend most of their lives separated from each other and correspond regularly but telling each other very little. I wonder if this is an attempt by the author to construct a love story with the exact opposite operational basis from what we would consider desirable or normal. All of the obligation, none of the shared history. All of the kindness, none of the passion. All of the moral components, none of the physical.
Anyway after the love story part it turns into a spy story? The Captain turns out to be a spy/drug smuggler in Panama, and the narrator goes to track him down to tell him that Liza is dead and it all gets a bit bizarre. I don't know at all what the theme or point is supposed to be. There are references to the love theme, but overall the exposition is poorly done. Close, but no ciggy, Mr. Greene.
This novel has been part of an attempt by my dad to find the "new classics": books written recently which will survive into the following generations as important commentaries on philosophy, life, love, etc. We can't all read only Steinbeck and Hugo forever.
I don't recommend this book. It was an honest attempt, but it lacked fire and skill in the crafting.
Up next: Dodger by Terry Pratchett which was a recommendation from my past and was available at the Halifax Public Library. Terry Pratchett is candy for my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment